MillionPlus, the Association for Modern Universities, today (11 September) welcomes the return of the two-year post study work visa, announced by the government.
Dr Greg Walker, Chief Executive of MillionPlus, said:
“The re-introduction of the post-study work visa, called for by MillionPlus and other voices across higher education for some years, is most welcome. The decision represents good news not only for universities and the students themselves, but will be a shot in the arm for local communities, businesses and employers, boosting our productivity and regional economies.”
“While we await the details of the policy, on the face of it this is hugely positive, and will go some way to helping regain ground lost to our competitor nations. However, this needs to be the first step on the road to wider reform of the excessively burdensome and inequitable student visa process.”
Notes to editors
- For further information or to arrange an interview, please contact Dan Blows on 020 3927 2916 or email email@example.com
- A new approach to student visas by MillionPlus is available here. The briefing outlines two proposals to improve the application process. The first would see the introduction of new out-of-country provisional visas to be issued by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) before a prospective student applies to their chosen university. The second involves streamlining and simplifying the current compliance regime by phasing out the general use of credibility interviews, where far too much subjectivity is built into the process, and by scrapping the arbitrary 10% maximum refusal rate for highly trusted providers such as universities
- MillionPlus, alongside Universities UK, GuildHE, the Russell Group, University Alliance and UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) have identified five principles that should underpin the design of the new student visa route and several actions that must be taken to achieve this reform.
- MillionPlus is the Association for Modern Universities in the UK, and the voice of 21st century higher education. We champion, promote and raise awareness of the essential role and impact of modern universities in the UK’s world-leading higher education sector. More information can be found at www.millionplus.ac.uk
- What are modern universities? Modern universities are long established centres of higher education in their communities with roots that stretch back decades, if not centuries. Many gained university title following legislation agreed by parliament in 1992. They make up almost half of the UK university sector with over a million students studying at modern universities every year.
- Modern universities: facts and stats