MillionPlus, the Association for Modern Universities, has today (21 March) welcomed the Hepi/Kaplan report, The UK’s tax revenues from international students post-graduation.
Dr Greg Walker, Chief Executive of MillionPlus, said:
“This report highlights the enormous contribution of international students to the UK. It should serve as a further incentive for the government to drive forward the new International Education Strategy, at a time when the UK is still losing market share around the world. A competitive post-study work offer is not only good for attracting students but, as this report highlights, it will boost the UK economy as well. These figures show what more could be gained if we get it right.
“The UK must be ambitious in what we hope to achieve: all universities should be able to recruit global talent wherever it is found. In a report published a few days ago, MillionPlus argued that our outmoded Tier 4 student immigration system is long overdue for reform. This report, and ours, underscore the need for a clear change in approach, helping the UK to become more competitive by removing unnecessary barriers to educating more international students.”
Notes to editors
- For further information or to arrange an interview, please contact Dan Blows on 020 3927 2916or email email@example.com
- A new approach to student visas by MillionPlus is available here. The briefing outlines two proposals to improve the application process. The first would see the introduction of new out-of-country provisional visas to be issued by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) before a prospective student applies to their chosen university. The second involves streamlining and simplifying the current compliance regime by phasing out the general use of credibility interviews, where far too much subjectivity is built into the process, and by scrapping the arbitrary 10% maximum refusal rate for highly trusted providers such as universities
- MillionPlus is the Association for Modern Universities in the UK, and the voice of 21st century higher education. We champion, promote and raise awareness of the essential role and impact of modern universities in the UK’s world-leading higher education sector. More information can be found at www.millionplus.ac.uk
- What are modern universities? Modern universities are long established centres of higher education in their communities with roots that stretch back decades, if not centuries. Many gained university title following legislation agreed by parliament in 1992. They make up almost half of the UK university sector with over a million students studying at modern universities every year
- Modern universities: key facts 2018